POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62 : Re: Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62 Server Time
6 Oct 2024 04:17:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62
From: clipka
Date: 31 Aug 2009 23:19:37
Message: <4a9c92c9$1@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:
>   Or if I try to express myself more clearly: Could it be that this
> precise test (the horizontal lines) gives you the wrong impression of
> what the proper gamma setting for your monitor would really be, this
> visual impression being biased by the brightness setting of the monitor?
>
>   If you used a completely different test, eg. physical pieces of paper
> colored appropriately, would you end up with the same gamma setting?

Speaking of pieces of paper, try this:

Display that image on your screen, and hold a thin piece of paper
against it to cover the whole image. This will physically blur the black
and white lines, eliminating visual perception issues.

On a CRT, in which each scanline is produced independently, this should
give /exactly/ 50% brightness (of what comes through the paper of course)

I didn't think this through for LCDs; there might be some side effects
of light scattering between pixels and being affected by the other
pixel's liquid crystal, but if one considers this an issue, the sheet of
paper should allow to make the test with a coarser pattern. (Dynamic
backlight arrays might really make things complicated though.)