POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Healthcare: Would Cooperatives work? : Re: Healthcare: Would Cooperatives work? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:14:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Healthcare: Would Cooperatives work?
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 31 Aug 2009 20:10:57
Message: <4a9c6691$1@news.povray.org>
On 08/31/09 16:45, Darren New wrote:
> Neeum Zawan wrote:
>> My guess is that the oversight for Medicare is not as good (I wouldn't
>> know, though).
>
> Or maybe that medicare tends to cover the people old enough to have lots
> of things that might be causing their symptoms.

	Well, no. In some locales the Medicare cost is a lot more per patient -
and it's not always due to different lifestyles/worse/better health:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/06/01/090601fa_fact_gawande?currentPage=all

	Two counties - similar demographics, similar health stats. One much
more expensive than the other. He focuses on those two, but occasionally
talks about the general issue across the country. These aren't
necessarily nasty doctors just trying to exploit Medicare:

"It was a depressing conversation—not because I thought the executives
were being evasive but because they weren’t being evasive. The data on
McAllen’s costs were clearly new to them. They were defending McAllen
reflexively. But they really didn’t know the big picture of what was
happening.

And, I realized, few people in their position do. Local executives for
hospitals and clinics and home-health agencies understand their growth
rate and their market share; they know whether they are losing money or
making money. They know that if their doctors bring in enough
business—surgery, imaging, home-nursing referrals—they make money; and
if they get the doctors to bring in more, they make more. But they have
only the vaguest notion of whether the doctors are making their
communities as healthy as they can, or whether they are more or less
efficient than their counterparts elsewhere."

>> Dentists are probably more famous for this. I don't know the
>> prevalence for (other) doctors.
>
> It's also a judgement call. I've had my dentist say "You have a small
> cavity. Let's wait to see if it is getting bigger before we fill it."
> Would filling the small cavity be "wrong"?

	For small numbers, sure. But one dentist saying 8 and the other saying
none? That's a bit too drastic to simply account for judgment calls. The
second dentist _did_ see some potential cases, but he suggested that if
I took good care of my teeth, they won't need to be filled. Also, some
of those would require quite a lot of drilling just to fill the cavity,
which didn't seem worth the trouble for what was (and still seems to be)
a minor problem.

	There is a cost (nonfinancial) to filling a cavity. Just because you
have a small cavity doesn't mean filling it is the best thing to do at
that point.

--
Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright
ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little