POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62 : Re: Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62 Server Time
6 Oct 2024 02:29:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62
From: Warp
Date: 31 Aug 2009 16:57:55
Message: <4a9c3952@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> > This would mean that if your monitor is set very
> > bright, then the white lines will overwhelm the black ones, requiring
> > a different gamma correction value

> Isn't this kind of the point, tho? Unless you turn up both the black level
> and the white level in a controlled way, I'd think increasing the brightness
> of one or the other is going to mean you have to correct your images
> differently for them to "look right".

  What I meant is that, at least it seems to me, this phenomenon would be
exclusive to this precise test (in other words, alternating black/white
horizontal lines) and might not correspond to what is intended to be a
"50% gray" in an image would really look like on your monitor.

  Or if I try to express myself more clearly: Could it be that this
precise test (the horizontal lines) gives you the wrong impression of
what the proper gamma setting for your monitor would really be, this
visual impression being biased by the brightness setting of the monitor?

  If you used a completely different test, eg. physical pieces of paper
colored appropriately, would you end up with the same gamma setting?

--
                                                          - Warp