POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62 : Re: Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62 Server Time
6 Oct 2024 02:25:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62
From: Warp
Date: 31 Aug 2009 16:28:32
Message: <4a9c3270@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Now with the horizontal stripes. POV3.6 looks too dark and POV3.7 looks too
> light.

  As I already wrote, now that I'm using the proper test (at least for CRT
monitors, which is what I have), I must admit that the 3.7 image background
looks very even with my monitor. I suppose that my monitor does indeed
require a gamma correction of almost exactly 2.2 for proper brightness,
and that my system settings were correct to begin with.

  On the other hand, I'm wondering how precise this test really is.
Bright white lines stand out a lot more than black lines, and the brighter
the white lines are, the more they tend to glow to the human eye. A bit
like color bleeding. This would mean that if your monitor is set very
bright, then the white lines will overwhelm the black ones, requiring
a different gamma correction value than if your monitor was set to a
very dim setting, in which case the white lines won't stand out that much
compared to the black lines.

--
                                                          - Warp