POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Precision of large objects : Re: Precision of large objects Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:18:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Precision of large objects
From: Warp
Date: 31 Aug 2009 14:28:55
Message: <4a9c1667@news.povray.org>
Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:
> If you have a value of about 1e100, then, the last digit presision would
> be about 1e90 to 1e93. This is a serious loss of precision.

  Note that a double-precision floating point number (which is 64 bits
in size) has only 53 bits of precision for the base. That's approximately
15 digits of precision in base 10. (In other words, if you try to store
a number with more significant decimal digits than 15 into such a floating
point value, the lower ones will just be lost.)

  I assume 1e7 was chose as half of that.

--
                                                          - Warp