POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Healthcare: Would Cooperatives work? : Re: Healthcare: Would Cooperatives work? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:26:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Healthcare: Would Cooperatives work?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 31 Aug 2009 13:56:28
Message: <4a9c0ecc$1@news.povray.org>
Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay wrote:
> Something that I've talked about for years is the possibility of having
> health cooperatives as a means of getting insurance.  Because they are
> non-profit and member-owned, YOU (collectively) would decide what (and who?)
> the insurance should cover.  Yes, these are getting a little bit of
> attention lately.

A coop would have a similar function to a union. I am in Arizona. We are
8 months *behind* negotiating for a new contract, we may be getting
close to having to strike, the company tried to gut "everything"
including health coverage and benefits, and, at least one person stated,
"I have been working here 15 years, and every year I lose something on
the new contract."

No, coops will *not* work, without someone telling the state what they
can and can't do to screw with those coops. You can't compete
effectively against someone else, if the deck is stacked against you the
whole time. Sure, *eventually* you might win, but we are up against
companies that actually, often, *own* the agencies responsible for
setting the prices, based on the real cost of procedures, in the first
place, and anything that isn't national, can't kick them in the nuts
when they get uppity.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {