POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62 : Re: Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62 Server Time
6 Oct 2024 00:22:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62
From: Warp
Date: 31 Aug 2009 13:37:38
Message: <4a9c0a62@news.povray.org>
> Warp schrieb:

> > http://warp.povusers.org/pov_imagemap_test/index.html

> >   Granted, the perceived brightness of this checkerboard pattern does not
> > match the 0.5 grey of the POV-Ray 3.6 image. However, neither does it match
> > the one rendered with POV-Ray 3.7. In fact, the latter deviates *more* from
> > that perceived brightness than the former. It's way too bright. At least on
> > my screen.

> The 3.7 shot looks /perfect/ on my display, no matter whether I display
> it in Internet Explorer, Windows Explorer preview, or Photoshop 6.0.
> Given that I did invest some time into calibrating my primary display,
> this tells me that yours/ must be /way/ off.

  You are seriously claiming that my display is way, way too bright.
That really makes me laugh out loud.

  If anything, my display is too dark. Often images posted by people in
p.b.images look almost black. When I complain about it, others say they
can see it just fine.

  Now you are telling me that I have to calibrate my monitor to be something
like 25% darker than it already is. Everything in the darker 20% or so
darkest color space would become completely black and invisible.

  Are you also seriously claiming that the starfield image in the pov3.7
rendered image looks just fine? Does that mean that the original looks like
a black square with some tiny white pixels here and there in your monitor?

> So stop your griping, disengage "demand mode", calibrate your image
> viewing pipeline properly, and /then/ come back with any residual problems.

  I don't appreciate your condescending tone of voice. I'm trying to discuss
about an issue here.

> As for entering gamma-pre-corrected colors into POV-Ray, you might use
> something like this:

>    #macro UnGamma(C)
>      #local G = 1/2.2;
>      <pow(C.red,G),pow(C.green,G),pow(C.blue,G),C.filter,C.transmit>
>    #end

>    #declare MyGrey = UnGamma(rgb <127,127,127>/255);

  I don't get it. The image POV-Ray 3.7 is producing by default is way too
bright, and you want me to brighten the colors even further? (For example
rgb 0.1 becomes rgb 0.35, rgb 0.5 becomes rgb 0.73.)

  Yeah, that will look marvelous. After your UnGamma converts the original
rgb 0.1 to rgb 0.35, POV-Ray will render the image with a further gamma
correction, making the final pixel have an rgb of 0.62. That will really
fix all problems.

--
                                                          - Warp