POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62 : Re: Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62 Server Time
6 Oct 2024 00:27:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Same scene renders different in v3.7beta34 versus v3.62
From: clipka
Date: 31 Aug 2009 12:59:21
Message: <4a9c0169$1@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:

> http://warp.povusers.org/pov_imagemap_test/index.html

>   Granted, the perceived brightness of this checkerboard pattern does not
> match the 0.5 grey of the POV-Ray 3.6 image. However, neither does it match
> the one rendered with POV-Ray 3.7. In fact, the latter deviates *more* from
> that perceived brightness than the former. It's way too bright. At least on
> my screen.

The 3.7 shot looks /perfect/ on my display, no matter whether I display
it in Internet Explorer, Windows Explorer preview, or Photoshop 6.0.
Given that I did invest some time into calibrating my primary display,
this tells me that yours/ must be /way/ off.

Now, that isn't generally a problem: You can work with a display system
gamma of 1.0 if you like. But in that case make sure your image viewing
software supports non-standard display gammas, and is actually
configured to do so.

So stop your griping, disengage "demand mode", calibrate your image
viewing pipeline properly, and /then/ come back with any residual problems.

As for entering gamma-pre-corrected colors into POV-Ray, you might use
something like this:

   #macro UnGamma(C)
     #local G = 1/2.2;
     <pow(C.red,G),pow(C.green,G),pow(C.blue,G),C.filter,C.transmit>
   #end

   #declare MyGrey = UnGamma(rgb <127,127,127>/255);

Now go and do your homework please.