POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Reflecting (and bent) torus on checkered plane : Re: Reflecting (and bent) torus on checkered plane Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:26:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reflecting (and bent) torus on checkered plane
From: scott
Date: 31 Aug 2009 12:08:12
Message: <4a9bf56c@news.povray.org>
>> Assuming it was completely for free (ie you didn't make them sign or
>> agree to some specific license) then I hope you can't sue them.
>
> I don't have to agree to any license at all to obtain GPL software. It is
> completely free for me to obtain it.

Then you should be free to distribute it further without worrying.  How is
distributing it further any different from distributing the link if it is
completely free to download?

>> If you want to control your work, don't release it for free to the
>> public.
>
> I guess you lose your copyright if you give your book to the library to
> loan out?

If you put limitless free copies of your book in the library and nobody had
to sign up for anything then yes, I don't think you would have much claim to
people making further copies of it when it is freely available anyway.
Exactly what have you lost, as the author, by people making their own copies
when you are giving away your copies for free?