POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Healthcare: Would Cooperatives work? : Healthcare: Would Cooperatives work? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:19:34 EDT (-0400)
  Healthcare: Would Cooperatives work?
From: Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay
Date: 31 Aug 2009 12:07:17
Message: <4a9bf535@news.povray.org>
Something that I've talked about for years is the possibility of having
health cooperatives as a means of getting insurance.  Because they are
non-profit and member-owned, YOU (collectively) would decide what (and who?)
the insurance should cover.  Yes, these are getting a little bit of
attention lately.

But.  I'm not sure this really solves the problem.  Why are healthcare costs
rising?  Insurance.  Maybe lawyers factor into this to some extent, but the
real reason is that we HAVE insurance.  When you take your car in to get new
brakes (assuming you don't do it yourself), they tell you "Oh, you need new
rotors, yada yada.  $350."  At that point, I say, "I've got a buddy that
will simply change my pads and it'll cost me $40 plus a 6-pack of beer."
Ok, you don't want that buddy doing your heart transplant, but the idea is
the same.  If my auto-insurance covered the $350, would I care?  Heck no!
Change all 4 rotors, and charge me $700.  Why should I care?