POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : union of door and handle pushes item off z axis : Re: union of door and handle pushes item off z axis Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:26:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: union of door and handle pushes item off z axis
From: Alain
Date: 29 Aug 2009 15:28:08
Message: <4a998148$1@news.povray.org>

> Thanks to everybody helping me before the DOOR problem is solved with above
> code. Now I got a second problem, I want to rotate the cabinet on its on y axis
> (turn left or right) but it orbits again. I can only rotate objects on their y
> axis 90-180-270 degrees cause I change their width and depth values with each
> other in the translate statement. But I know this is wrong...
> How do I rotate my cabinet or any object in place. How would you rotate the
> above cabinet 34 degrees with values given above?
>
> Note: I have been using povray for a year now, I still can't rotate objects in
> place without orbiting? Sorry if I'm slow to understand. Thanks again.

Anytime you get your objects orbiting when you rotate them, it's because
they are not created at the origin, or you have positioned them before
the rotation.

A cabinet should be modeled with it's back having a zero coordinate and
sit on the grouns: 0-> +Y.
A door should have an edge along the Y axis.
A trap with an adge along the X or Z axis.
Furnitures and objects destined to stand on something should extend from
the X-Z plane toward +Y and be located around the Y axis.
Other objects should sit around the origin.

So, before you rotate the object, be sure it's sitting at the correct
place. Never translate from the origin before you rotate.

1 - Create all objects AT the origin.
2 - Scale the object as needed.
3 - Rotate the object as needed.
4 - Translate the object to it's final location.

Alain