POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You know... : Re: You know... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:10:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: You know...
From: Darren New
Date: 28 Aug 2009 12:43:43
Message: <4a98093f$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> are tons of other places where they are useful as well... :)

Um, network protocols?

http://images.google.com/images?q=tcp+state+machine

> (which is completely transparent to everyone except maybe operating system
> developers).

Yes, there is such a difference. That's why I ask both questions.

And if I need you to figure out what's broken in the OS's paging algorithms
in a year's time, I'd like you to know enough about the subject to be able
to understand a tutorial on the topic.

I don't expect you to know how to program quantum computers, either, but I
expect you to know what quantum computing *is*, to the point that you could
fool the boss into thinking you know something about it. :-)

Anyway, that's one of many questions. If you're working for me, you'll
probably never need a ray tracer, either. But it would be good for you to
know that a ray tracer takes a 3D description and turns it into an image,
for example.

You could say "I'll never need to know that" about every question on that
entire list. A web designer doesn't need to know what a stop bit is or what
priority inversion is. A hardware designer doesn't need to know why you'd
want an index on a relational database table or what protocols web services
use.  It's a breadth of knowledge thing.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Understanding the structure of the universe