POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You know... : Re: You know... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:14:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: You know...
From: Warp
Date: 28 Aug 2009 12:14:15
Message: <4a980257@news.povray.org>
> This whole thing started when I was working with a guy named Kevin. He was
> an OK programmer, but I kept having to bail him out of corners he'd painted
> himself into.  At one point, he had a big complicated way of keeping track
> of where he was in a network protocol, using strings with stars and plus
> signs and zeros and such to track what messages he'd seen and such, and I
> said "why not just use a state machine?"  He said "What's a state machine?"

  The only places I have heard where they use state machines is in formal
verification apps and regular expression interpreters. But I suppose there
are tons of other places where they are useful as well... :)

> >   Unicode encodings? Certainly useful to know. Basic SQL knowledge? Can
> > become handy sometimes even in jobs not directly related to databses.
> > Knowing what a TLB is and how it works? Exactly where do you need to know
> > that? It's not like knowing that would change the way you develop programs.

> As I said, these are to assess your breadth of knowledge. It's like asking
> someone to write a program to compute prime numbers - you'll never have to
> do that at work either.

  But I think there's a big difference between knowing how to calculate
prime numbers and knowing how virtual paging works at hardware level
(which is completely transparent to everyone except maybe operating system
developers).

--
                                                          - Warp