POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You know... : Re: You know... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:11:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: You know...
From: Warp
Date: 28 Aug 2009 07:58:55
Message: <4a97c67f@news.povray.org>
> Invisible schrieb:
> > TLB - convert from virtual memory addresses to physical memory
> > addresses. It's basically a cache of the page mappings. (Let's face it,
> > accessing RAM for every memory access to figure out where in physical
> > memory the requested virtual address is would be *really* slow...)

> Ah yes - those animals. I knew I had read about TLBs somewhere somewhen.

  Same here: I knew the concept existed, but the I was not so familiar
with its *name* that I could make the connection.

  Which makes the question maybe a bit unfair: Even if the person does know
what it is about, if he can't remember it from its name, it will look like
he doesn't know about that subject at all.

  Besides, in which job would it be necessary to know this?

  Unicode encodings? Certainly useful to know. Basic SQL knowledge? Can
become handy sometimes even in jobs not directly related to databses.
Knowing what a TLB is and how it works? Exactly where do you need to know
that? It's not like knowing that would change the way you develop programs.

--
                                                          - Warp