POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You know... : Re: You know... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:21:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: You know...
From: scott
Date: 28 Aug 2009 05:38:09
Message: <4a97a581$1@news.povray.org>
> Yeah, but, I thought it contains stuff like a half-wave plate (which is
> nanometers thick) and stuff.

Actually the half-wave plate (or quarter-wave plate) is part of the
polariser sheet (which contains lots of other layers), these are typically
0.2-0.4mm thick and can easily be seen attached to both sides of the glass.
We expect most candidates to at least have a very basic idea how an LCD
works (we tell them this before the interview).

Other optical sheets in the backlight, like the diffuser and prism array
sheets are thinner, but still easily visible and handle-able as they are all
the same size as the display itself.  In fact you can run your finger nail
along the sheet to see if has any prism structure on it, you could probably
work out the spacing of the prisms from the pitch of the sound somehow
without the need for any microscope.  Also there is another sheet in there
that just looks like a mirror, but obviously it doesn't reflect all the
light or the display wouldn't work.  THat's another good one to ask them
about.