POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Idle dreams : Re: Idle dreams Server Time
9 Oct 2024 02:30:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Idle dreams
From: scott
Date: 28 Aug 2009 05:16:06
Message: <4a97a056@news.povray.org>
> I meant that it's sad that we don't have RAM that can perform as fast as
> the CPU itself.
>
> [Or rather... I guess we do, since that must be what they make the L1
> cache out of. But the L1 cache is tiny, so...]

And, most importantly, it is very close to the CPU.

It's a cost/benefit thing, for $X how do you make the fastest computer?  The
answer is to have a big slab of slow RAM, and progressively smaller bits of
faster RAM.  Trying to do it another way will not make the fastest machine
for a given amount of money.