POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Idle dreams : Re: Idle dreams Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:23:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Idle dreams
From: scott
Date: 28 Aug 2009 04:45:37
Message: <4a979931$1@news.povray.org>
> If CPUs didn't need caches in the first place (i.e., RAM was faster than
> the CPU) then this would be a total non-issue. But here in the real world,
> it's sometimes faster to leave cores idling rather than risk upsetting the
> Almighty Cache. How sad...

Yes, if we upset the Almight Cache, *shock* we might drop back to the
performance levels of the fastest RAM available.  The cache is there to
*speed up* stuff, I have no idea why you'd want a machine with a CPU running
at the same speed as the fastest RAM available, you're then going to get the
same levels of performance as if you upset the cache continuously!