POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Idle dreams : Re: Idle dreams Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:25:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Idle dreams
From: Invisible
Date: 28 Aug 2009 04:22:53
Message: <4a9793dd$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> My boss bought a quad-core Mac with SSDs. A few weeks later I asked how
> it worked out.  He said "I never wait for anything." :-)

And that's the difference. With Windoze, just closing the CD drive is
enough to lock the entire Explorer shell for ten minutes while it
attempts to determine whether there's a disk in there. (Um,
multitasking? Anyone?)

> With several SATA drives, it's nice to be able to copy at 80MBps between
> two different pairs of drives at once.  Way nicer than lame-ass IDE.

My PC at home is all SATA too. It still takes forever for TF2 to start
up. :-P

> And my net here is nicely peppy. At 12Mbps, I'm almost always maxing out
> someone else's connection before my own. I can suck down an entire CD
> worth of data in about 15 minutes, faster than driving into work to pick
> it up.

Where in the name of God can you get 12 Mbit/sec? I thought 8 was the
maximum that ADSL supports...