POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Reflecting (and bent) torus on checkered plane : Re: Reflecting (and bent) torus on checkered plane Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:23:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reflecting (and bent) torus on checkered plane
From: scott
Date: 28 Aug 2009 04:17:03
Message: <4a97927f$1@news.povray.org>
>> IMO once you make something available to the public (ie they can just see
>> it for free with no restrictions) then you can't really do much about
>> people copying it.
>
> Of course you can. You can sue them for copying it.

Can you really make something that is visible to the public and then sue
them for taking photos of it?  That seems bizarre.  *IMO* if you put
something on display for the public to see you have no right to stop people
taking photos and doing what they want with those photos.

> Heck, you think broadcast TV shows aren't copyrighted?

Oh I know they are, but *IMO* if you give something to the public you
shouldn't expect to be able to keep control of it after that.  I mean if you
publically broadcast *for free* to the whole population some TV show,
doesn't it seem a bit wrong that two weeks later you then go and try to sue
someone for making a copy?  Anyway I don't think that happens, at least in
Europe a lot of the major TV stations seem to putting online all their
previous programs, so you can do it totally legally now without resorting to
bitTorrent.

> That would be license law, not copyright law. That's not even the same
> jurisdiction in the USA.

But I think if the person has explicity agreed to some condition it is
easier to prosecute them, rather than having to get involved with whether
what they did actually broke copyright law or not.