POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You know... : Re: You know... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:14:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: You know...
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 28 Aug 2009 00:49:44
Message: <4a9761e8$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   For example, you wouldn't believe how complicated the task of writing
> a function which calculates the distance between two 2D points can get.
> Where normal people would just write a "sqrt(vx*vx+vy*vy)"-based solution
> in 3 lines (two of them to calculate vx and vy), the worst examples I saw
> spawned over 100 lines of code. And I'm not exaggerating the least bit here.
> And these are university students who have gone through math courses in
> grade school, high school and several years in the university.

I will admit to having done some absurd things like that in introduction
to programming classes. Not for having forgotten how to solve the
problem, but for the challenge of finding a very bad design and the look
on teaching assistants faces when they have to read the code and offer
feedback.

There were very strict rules about what was good and bad design, and how
to handle commenting the code, so skirting those was just a way to be
creative.