POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Faking "curvedness" : Re: Faking "curvedness" Server Time
2 Jul 2024 19:19:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Faking "curvedness"
From: SharkD
Date: 28 Aug 2009 00:29:22
Message: <4a975d22$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Williams wrote:
> Unlike the real world, you can select which objects are reflected in
> PovRay mirrors. You could specify no_reflection for nearby objects and
> no_image for distant objects which you want to reflect in the curved
> mirror. Position them accordingly.

I was thinking of using a giant toroidal lens around the entire scene.
Nearby objects would lie inside the torus and would not be refracted.
Distant objects would lie outside the torus and would be refracted. Not
sure what exact shape the lens should be. My optics is a bit rusty from
high school...

A mirror instead of a lens might work and might even render faster, but
I'd have to make sure most of my scene is not reflected. I would want
the clouds to appear in the mirror, and the mirroring would probably be
noticeable at the edge.

-Mike