POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Highlights Syntax : Re: Highlights Syntax Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:31:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Highlights Syntax
From: clipka
Date: 27 Aug 2009 23:00:46
Message: <4a97485e$1@news.povray.org>
Zeger Knaepen schrieb:
> I would agree if you were argueing against *adding* functionality, but we're
> talking about taking functionality *away*. And in that case I believe that
> if even one person can think of a reason, even if only he/she understands
> that reason, to use a particular function, and if changing the program to
> remove that functionality doesn't give us anything else, anything better, in
> return, then we're dealing with an "it ain't broke so don't fix it"
> situation.

Among the things it would give us, there are:

- reduced memory footprint for texture objects
- reduced code complexity
- more consistent SDL syntax

The latter one being my main motivation for suggesting it.

My primary proposal is to re-parameterize the highlights. Collapsing the
two features into a single one is more of a spin-off, but in case we'd
do the syntax change anyway, I think it prudent to make the new syntax
better than the old one in this respect, too: I'm quite sure using
/both/ highlight modes is /not/ a standard use case.

> true, but like I said in my post: it's not because you or I can't think of a
> reason, that no one else can.

That's why I'm putting it up for discussion (and arguing against any
reasons I consider not really "hard").

> yes, but AFAIK every effect halo could produce, can also be done with media.
> The opposite is not true.  So it's not a matter of taking functionality away
> without adding anything better.  Your proposal is.

I would expect halo to have been living alongside media for a while, as
with many other changes that affect compatibility. So in a sense,
ultimately removing halo from POV-Ray would have been taking
functionality away without adding anything better, too.

Similar things have also happened with assumed_gamma, which is being
restricted in the 3.7 to be set to either 1.0 or 2.2, but no interim
values, and be phased out altogether, making that feature unavailable
for artistic purposes.

Likewise, collapsing both highlight models into one would remove a
redundant feature apparently of use only for artistic purposes; and
other than assumed_gamma, in this case there even appears to be an easy
ways to go around it.

> I think your idea is more something for POV-Ray 4,

I've come to the conclusion that the parameterization of highlights
sucks - among others, it's in the way of getting stuff like radiosity
and subsurface scattering right. So I would preferably want it changed
way before 4.x comes out.

And if the syntax would be changed anyway, I'd suggest going the whole
way and collapsing the two features into one.

> (why, btw, isn't layering of patterned textures allowed in POV3.6?)

Because with the POV-Ray 3.x architecture, it would appear to open up
some cans of worms regarding getting the behavior consistent, I think.
Never did an in-depth analysis of that issue yet though. But I agree it
does suck at times.