POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Now that's cool : Re: Now that's cool Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:25:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Now that's cool
From: clipka
Date: 27 Aug 2009 19:38:12
Message: <4a9718e4@news.povray.org>
Darren New schrieb:
>> As for /arriving/ at the same time: Yes. As for being /sent/ at the
>> same time: No.
>
> If X and Y are very close together in space when the beam is sent, sure.

Not even then. It would reduce the "simultaneity window" accordingly,
but never reduce it to zero. And note that the other effects you want to
observe diminish with the scale of your experiment, too.

> If X is on the tracks and Y is on the train, and they each set off the
> flashbulb as the arm on the side of the train strikes the pole stuck by
> the side of the tracks, wouldn't that be a simultaneous event? I mean,
> the contacts touch once, and there's only one contact, so how could it
> not be the same time for both flashbulbs?

Note that the flashbulbs won't go off simultaneously with the
establishment of the contact: Electric signals, too, only propagate at
the speed of light (if not slower).