POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : layering patterned textures : Re: layering patterned textures Server Time
5 Oct 2024 15:57:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: layering patterned textures
From: clipka
Date: 27 Aug 2009 19:28:44
Message: <4a9716ac$1@news.povray.org>
Mr schrieb:
> Yet I'm not sure it will work as I'm trying to use the back diffuse light which
> i guess doesn't show without transparency, does it?

It does.

Transparency is really only needed to have things on the other side be
plainly visible, unblurred.

Backside illumination is there to do exactly the opposite: Make an
object appear translucent, /without/ making things on the other side
plainly visible.

Note however that in order for backside diffuse illumination to do
anything useful, your objects must be either non-solid (i.e. just one
infinitely thin surface), or you must use radiosity for the light to
carry all the way through the object.