POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Now that's cool : Re: Now that's cool Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:17:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Now that's cool
From: Darren New
Date: 27 Aug 2009 12:37:43
Message: <4a96b657$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Cook wrote:
> clipka wrote:
>> You don't even have that with light, no matter how fast you "swim".
>
> However, it must be pointed out that no human being has ever personally
> managed a speed of any noticeable fraction of the speed of light to find
> out.

Of course they have.

You can put an atomic clock on Southwest Airlines and measure the error you
caused at the other end by being out of the gravity well and traveling at
velocity.

You can just leave one in the basement and one at the top of a skyscraper
for a couple months and measure the difference.

> I also have trouble with the notion that light emitted at the same time
> from point x and point y, point x stationary to and point y moving
> rapidly relative to point z, both beams of light will arrive at z at the
> same moment, regardless of distance.

Assuming X and Y are both the same distance from Z when you start counting,
why wouldn't they? Even with regular waves, that'll happen.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Understanding the structure of the universe