POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Idle dreams : Re: Idle dreams Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:21:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Idle dreams
From: clipka
Date: 27 Aug 2009 10:29:12
Message: <4a969838$1@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:
>   I'm wondering: What do people do with so many cores? And I'm talking about
> average people, not people who use POV-Ray 3.7 (who are a rather small
> minority).

Damn, and I was already about to hit the "reply" button to answer that
perfectly obvious question :-)

Well, so what might /others/ do with such fast computers...

Brag about them?
Hope for games to support them at last?

Can't think of much else.

>   And of course there's a point after which a game will not benefit at
> all from increased speed. A game refreshing at 100FPS or at 150FPS makes
> absolutely no practical difference.

Forget about that: Computer games are like POV-Ray scenes - they
invariably grow with the available computing power, to bog it down again
to exactly that speed where it's /barely/ acceptable...

There's always stuff to improve you know. If they'd find nothing else,
they'd go for realtime subsurface scattering and crash-test-quality
physics simulation...