POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : layering patterned textures : Re: layering patterned textures Server Time
5 Oct 2024 15:51:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: layering patterned textures
From: clipka
Date: 27 Aug 2009 09:51:57
Message: <4a968f7d$1@news.povray.org>
Mr schrieb:
> While playing with fastprox and trying to layer it over a slope pigment, I get
> the following error message: "cannot layer patterned textures"...
> I thought that was the whole point of layering textures... What is happening?

POV-Ray provides two ways of combining textures:

(1) Layered textures:

You create these by specifying multiple "texture{...}" statements in a row.

That's what you tried.

(2) Blended textures:

These include averaged textures (using "texture{average
texture_map{...}}"), as well as patterned textures (using the
"texture{PATTERN texture_map{...}}" or "texture{PATTERN texture{...}
texture{...}}" syntax), plus a few specialties.

That's apparently what fastprox is using.

While blended textures can combine /any/ textures no matter how complex,
layered textures can only combine simple "atomic" textures (and possibly
other layered textures, though I'm not perfectly sure about this).

The reason for this is that layered textures are much more coherent,
with the upper layers affecting the processing of lower layers (which by
the way also allows for some optimizations), while the elements of
blended textures can all be evaluated independently, and the results
then just averaged according to the parameters in the combining texture.