POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Inadvisible : Re: Inadvisible Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:27:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Inadvisible
From: scott
Date: 27 Aug 2009 06:31:01
Message: <4a966065@news.povray.org>
> I guess the idea is that if the GPU is toast but the card itself still
> works, it's still usable... but wouldn't that be the case anyway? *shrugs*

But how is it going to work if the entire video card is "missing" like they
say?

>>> Crysis with no GPU? Now I've seen everything!
>>
>> Looks like this is just a beefed up version of the reference rasteriser
>> that comes with the DirectX SDK.
>
> Beefed up to support all DirectX 10.1 features, yeah...

The reference rasteriser already supports all DirectX 10.1 features, that's
the idea of it, you use it to test/check that your code/GPU combination
produces the same output as the reference rasteriser to rule out any weird
driver issues.  I have the DX10 reference rasteriser here from the March
2008 SDK.  Amusingly I just tried it on one of the samples, 20fps on the
GPU, 0.2fps on the CPU :-) I guess they made it a bit faster :-)