POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is great : Re: This is great Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:26:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is great
From: scott
Date: 27 Aug 2009 03:25:17
Message: <4a9634dd$1@news.povray.org>
> It's possible your car grabs or grabbed the address book via the "transfer
> address book entries" when you first associated the phone to the car.

I think it grabs them each time the car/phone see each other (ie when I get
in the car and turn on the ignition).  It definitely shows entries that I've
added since pairing, but when I tried to add a contact while the car was on
it didn't show up in the car.

> Or... it could be using the SIM bit, if you have a SIM-based phone. (I
> don't.)

Everyone here has a SIM based phone, even my first Motorola brick had a SIM
card.  I have never seen a phone without a SIM card.

>> My SIM card apparently can only hold 100 entries, and the entries are
>> only just 1 name and 1 number.
>
> Odd. That wasn't how I understood SIM cards to work in general.

I can configure the address book on my phone to show or hide contact on the
phone and contacts on the SIM card.  Both sets show up in the car regardless
of the settings on the phone (I know this because they put a few
pre-programmed numbers on the SIM card when I got it which never show up in
my address book on the phone).  The contacts on the SIM card are useless
because you can't add any extra info to them, I don't know of any modern
phones that use the SIM for storing contacts by default.

> That I couldn't guess. Maybe lock your phone, then try to call from the
> car?

If you mean lock the keypad, then my phone almost always has the keypad
locked (in my pocket) when I'm in the car.  There is no problem making or
receiving calls.  I just checked on my phone and the pairing for the car is
called an "Audio Device", so I guess it just uses the protocols for
initiating and picking up calls, transferring the audio, and for
transferring the address book.  Works ok for me, I don't use the phone for
long enough to usually have to worry about the battery running out (I think
it has about 6 hours talk time and will last for about a week if I don't use
it much).