POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Missing parenthesis causes bad crash : Re: Missing parenthesis causes bad crash Server Time
7 Jul 2024 07:20:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Missing parenthesis causes bad crash
From: stbenge
Date: 26 Aug 2009 19:42:56
Message: <4a95c880@news.povray.org>
stbenge wrote:
> clipka wrote:
>> Can someone confirm a crash on the following code?
>
> Yes. I was using the sse2.win32 version and only received a parse error.
> Then I tried the non-sse2 version and quickly received an access
> violation at 0x005ba88b. Now both versions crash. I have attached the
> .dmp file for you.

A new development: I added the missing parenthesis after reopening POV,
and got it to render, of course. Then I removed the parenthesis and
received the parse error again. Without a crash. Here are the contents
of the message pane:

Messages cleared.
Preset INI file is 'C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\SAM\MY
DOCUMENTS\POV-RAY\V3.7\INI\QUICKRES.INI', section is '[512x384, AA 0.3]'.
Preset source file is 'C:\Program Files\POV-Ray for Windows
v3.6\scenes\2009\Summer\bugTesting\fubar_scene.pov'.
Rendering using command line '+ft -f -a0.17 +am2 +r3'.
Rendering with 4 threads.
Parser Options
   Input file: C:\Program Files\POV-Ray for Windows
v3.6\scenes\2009\Summer\bugTesting\fubar_scene.pov
   Remove bounds........On
   Split unions.........Off
   Library paths:
     C:\Documents and Settings\Sam\My Documents\POV-Ray\v3.7\include
     C:\WINDOWS\Fonts
-
Parse Error: Expected ')', # found instead

Render failed
-
CPU time used: kernel 0.03 seconds, user 0.00 seconds, total 0.03 seconds.
Elapsed time 0.14 seconds.

That was with the sse2 version. I closed POV after the parse error
reopened sse2 again without fixing the parenthesis, and quickly received
the access violation at the same address in memory, 0x005ba88b. It's not
sse2-dependent. The crash seems to occur when you close POV after the
parse error, reopen it and try to render again without fixing the
parenthesis.

Sam