POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Now that's cool : Re: Now that's cool Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:22:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Now that's cool
From: clipka
Date: 26 Aug 2009 18:53:51
Message: <4a95bcff$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New schrieb:
>> moved with the earth,
>
> Fairly easy to disprove by observing things outside the solar system, IIRC.

Not really. If light slows down or speeds up as it approaches the earth
(due to the "aether" exhibiting "local movement"), how could you
possibly tell the difference?

> It's based on the charge to mass ratio of the electron, IIRC.  I used to
> be able to calculate what the speed of light would be for different
> charge to mass ratios, but that was back in high school.

Now that's a puzzler to me: Isn't the electron known to have two
"brothers" (muon and tauon) that differ from it only in mass?

So if that is so, then in a manner of speaking we /do/ have electrons
with different charge-to-mass ratios. Yet they all interact with the
same electromagnetic field, in which the propagation speed of
disturbances must obviously be independent of the particular particle
that caused them.

How can that possibly work out with the propagation speed of those
disturbances being dependent on the charge-to-mass ratio of the
electron? And how come that despite such a striking correlation
scientists have still not managed to find out how particles obtain a
mass at all, if the respective formula would be right before their eyes,
giving the electron a mass depending directly on its charge and the
speed of light?