POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Now that's cool : Re: Now that's cool Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:26:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Now that's cool
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 26 Aug 2009 18:46:38
Message: <4a95bb4e$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Although the magnetic field, as we have just seen, appears to be only an
> illusion caused by relativistic effects in the electric field.

I haven't actually gone through the math on this one but my limited
understanding is that this isn't necessarily the case.  In the case
where there exists a reference frame in which you can analyze the
situation with electrostatics then you can derive the electromagnetic
forces in another reference frame with special relativity, but that by
no means implies that there exists any frame which allows you do do away
with magnetic forces altogether.

I think that this paper gives this argument, although it's a bit lacking
in details for my taste:

http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/0143-0807/29/5/002

I'm instead inclined to have the take on it that it nicely illustrates
why electricity and magnetism are not separate forces, but rather two
difference aspects of the same underlying field.