POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is great : Re: This is great Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:24:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is great
From: Darren New
Date: 26 Aug 2009 18:19:44
Message: <4a95b500@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> That's just the way it is - that's how they were standardized, back in
> the old days, when nobody ever thought about storing more information
> than just a person's phone number.

The wonders of premature standardization.  Not that it seems better than the
alternative, mind.

> but also at retrieval speed.

Sure. I was under the impression that when you put the SIM card in, the
phone would read and cache the values for you in faster flash ram. I thought
there was more in there than just a simple one-number address book, but I
can see how that might happen, yes, with nobody agreeing on what else to put
in there, and nobody wanting (or being allowed to) specify
manufacturer-specific fields.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Understanding the structure of the universe