POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is great : Re: This is great Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:29:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is great
From: Darren New
Date: 26 Aug 2009 11:42:34
Message: <4a9557ea$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> Oh ok, mine must work differently then, there is no way to manually add
> or remove contacts from the car, it just displays what is in the phone.
> Not sure at what point it grabs the data, I haven't played about with
> adding contacts while it's connected to the car.

There's a blue tooth protocol for dialing the phone et al, a blue tooth
protocol for transferring address books (not unlike what the old Palm did
over IR), and a blue tooth protocol for accessing the SIM.

It's possible your car grabs or grabbed the address book via the "transfer
address book entries" when you first associated the phone to the car. My
phone isn't sophisticated enough that I didn't have to do that manually.

Or... it could be using the SIM bit, if you have a SIM-based phone. (I
don't.) If there's no way to enter contacts, I wouldn't be surprised if
that's what's happening.

> My SIM card apparently can only hold 100 entries, and the entries are
> only just 1 name and 1 number.

Odd. That wasn't how I understood SIM cards to work in general.

> Or an engine generating 0.1 MW :-)  Interesting point though, I don't
> know on mine whether it's the car or the phone that is actually doing
> the radio comms, I never thought that it might be the car...  I wonder
> how I can tell?

That I couldn't guess. Maybe lock your phone, then try to call from the car?
(Oddly enough, that seems to crash my car phone interface until I
power-cycle the car. Either that, or it's an absurdly long timeout.)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Understanding the structure of the universe