POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Sun, atmosphere, haze etc. : Re: Sun, atmosphere, haze etc. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:26:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sun, atmosphere, haze etc.
From: SharkD
Date: 26 Aug 2009 07:59:42
Message: <4a9523ae$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> SharkD schrieb:
>> #local Inc_Scale_Amount = Width;
>> #local Dec_Scale_Amount = sqrt(3) / vlength(Inc_Scale_Amount);
>
> What is "Width"?
>
> It should be a scalar, otherwise you'll be running into trouble, as
> you'd need an anisotropic media density (i.e. different density
> depending on the orientation of the traversing ray) for a proper job.

Good catch! Yes, "Width" is a scalar. However, even after fixing this
the clouds don't look quite like the image on the website I linked to.
The clouds are supposed to be dark underneath, but aren't when I render
the scene.

light_source
{
	<+3000, +6000, -7000,> * Width
	rgb 2.0
	parallel
}

The location of the light source is well above the clouds. But, the
light source is twice as bright. How might I modify the media to
compensate? I suppose I could contain the clouds in a light group with a
dimmer light source, but I'd rather avoid this since it affects things
like shadows.

-Mike