POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Precision of large objects : Re: Precision of large objects Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:28:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Precision of large objects
From: clipka
Date: 26 Aug 2009 07:22:42
Message: <4a951b02$1@news.povray.org>
SharkD schrieb:
> Assuming my units of measurement 1 Povray unit, how big can I make
> things before precision errors become a problem? I.e. what is the
> "range" of scales that will still work?

That depends on what you actually want to do.

Any values in the order of 1.0e+17 or above are destined to get you into
utter trouble.

Distances between camera and objects, between different objects, or
between parts of an object, in the order of 1.0e+7 or above will mess up
various ray-object intersection tests.

Object sizes in the order of 1.0e+6 or above will disengage the bounding
mechanism for that object.

It is also recommended to place the scene near the coordinate origin, as
that's where computations can be done with highest precision; if the
smallest details you expect to see are X units in size, they should be
no further away from the coordinate origin than X * 1.0e+7 units,
otherwise bounding box and other mechanisms will freak out.