POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is great : Re: This is great Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:19:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is great
From: scott
Date: 26 Aug 2009 02:47:18
Message: <4a94da76$1@news.povray.org>
> I have that too, but that's because I bluetoothed the contact list from
> the phone to the car. They slowly drift out of sync, of course, and it
> doesn't work for anyone else's phone.

Oh ok, mine must work differently then, there is no way to manually add or
remove contacts from the car, it just displays what is in the phone.  Not
sure at what point it grabs the data, I haven't played about with adding
contacts while it's connected to the car.

Also lots of new cars have an "SOS" button (usually up by the rear view
mirror somewhere) that uses a built-in phone and SIM card to call the
emergency services.  Some cars even call this automatically within a certain
time of an accident if you don't manually cancel it.

> Actually, I believe it's because the SIM card is very slow, so the phone
> caches the values when you put the SIM in.  I was under the impression the
> SIM cards stored everything of interest about your phone. I could be
> wrong.

My SIM card apparently can only hold 100 entries, and the entries are only
just 1 name and 1 number.  In my phone I can store multiple numbers and
other details (eg email, address, notes etc) for each person, plus the only
limit is the size of memory in the phone.

> It also means the car is using the radio in my pocket, running off tiny
> batteries, rather than the radio in the car running off a 20-pound lump of
> lead and acid.

Or an engine generating 0.1 MW :-)  Interesting point though, I don't know
on mine whether it's the car or the phone that is actually doing the radio
comms, I never thought that it might be the car...  I wonder how I can tell?