POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What I'm learning about open source : Re: What I'm learning about open source Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:28:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What I'm learning about open source
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 25 Aug 2009 22:18:00
Message: <4a949b58@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 19:05:38 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> They'll make up for it with the upgrades to Windows 7.  You don't think
>> they're going to give all Vista customers Windows 7 for free, do you?
>> ;-)
>
> Of course. It's also incorrect to imply that W7 is merely bugfixes on
> Vista. But I was saying that MS doesn't make money when stuff is broken.
> They've had several notable failures, including Vista. People just
> didn't upgrade to Vista like one might expect.

I'm not implying that W7 is just bugfixes, but they are going to make
money getting people to upgrade.  Is it as much as if they'd done a good
job with Vista?  Probably not.  But they'll make it worth *their* while.

>> It's the old upgrade treadmill.
>
> You don't have to upgrade if you don't need to.

Except, of course, that the nature of the beast is such that if you want
to run the newest software (games in particular) or have particular bugs
fixed, an upgrade is ultimately going to be required.

Jim