POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What I'm learning about open source : Re: What I'm learning about open source Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:15:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What I'm learning about open source
From: clipka
Date: 25 Aug 2009 21:04:48
Message: <4a948a30@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson schrieb:
>>> Besides, under the GPL, if you fix it and distribute the fix, you have
>>> to distribute the code freely as well, so you can't really charge to
>>> fix it, even.
>> But you can fix it on behalf of someone else. If you're hacking the code
>> right into some company's copy of the source code, you're not
>> distributing the code, are you?
>
> Technically, I believe you are, if you're fixing it "on behalf of someone
> else", then you are required on the GPL to distribute that fix with your
> fixed code.

What if I'm not distributing anything I fixed? What if I only distribute
/the fix/?

What if all I do is sit at a terminal on that company's premises,
hacking at the keyboard to remove some code from the original source and
add some other instead?

Technically, if it does constitute any distribution of code at all, then
I'd say what I distribute is purely my own work, containing no part of
the stuff I'm patching.

(Note that I'm not talking about what the company then does with that
code; I'm assuming for now that they're using the software in-house.)