POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What I'm learning about open source : Re: What I'm learning about open source Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:27:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What I'm learning about open source
From: clipka
Date: 25 Aug 2009 19:20:30
Message: <4a9471be$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson schrieb:
> Or support it, or consult on it, or train on it....there is a whole
> services model around software that's more than just charging to fix it.

They're all based on the user being unable to deal with the software
efficiently all by himself though - obviously.

You want to make money out of a GPL'd product? Then it /must not/ be
user-friendly, intuitive and bug-free.

> Besides, under the GPL, if you fix it and distribute the fix, you have to
> distribute the code freely as well, so you can't really charge to fix it,
> even.

But you can fix it on behalf of someone else. If you're hacking the code
right into some company's copy of the source code, you're not
distributing the code, are you?