POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is great : Re: This is great Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:11:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is great
From: Darren New
Date: 25 Aug 2009 11:19:34
Message: <4a940106$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> Oh yes, my current car and my last car had that.  It means when someone
> calls you the car can display the name of the person from the phonebook.

I have that too, but that's because I bluetoothed the contact list from the
phone to the car. They slowly drift out of sync, of course, and it doesn't
work for anyone else's phone.

> Note that the phonebook in most phones is stored in the phone and not on
> the SIM card, because the SIM card has very limited storage capacity.

Actually, I believe it's because the SIM card is very slow, so the phone
caches the values when you put the SIM in.  I was under the impression the
SIM cards stored everything of interest about your phone. I could be wrong.

> Also it means if you want to call someone you can scroll through the
> address book on the car display and not have to use the tiny buttons and
> screen on your phone whilst driving.

Yes, but for me that's because I copied the phone book into the car, not
because the car is getting it from my phone real-time. It also means the car
is using the radio in my pocket, running off tiny batteries, rather than the
radio in the car running off a 20-pound lump of lead and acid.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Understanding the structure of the universe