POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fun Facts : Re: Fun Facts Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:21:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fun Facts
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 25 Aug 2009 09:23:48
Message: <4a93e5e4$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:

http://www.cracked.com/article/85_6-bullshit-facts-about-psychology-that-everyone-believes_p1

> I was already aware of most of these, but it's still fun to hear them
> described this way :)
>
> Oh, and I especially like that below the section on polygraphs, there
> was an ad for... a polygraph.  Nice!
>
> ...Chambers

The problem with #3 and NLP, is that they missed several of the other
things Derren Brown did, and only believed what he said in the voice
over at the end of the clip. That, and the video has some obvious
editing gaps where who-knows-what could have happened. The video also
emphasizes explaining the words he used, and not the physical cues. The
most obvious being the 'here, let me shake your hand, oops, I just put
your hand on the table and curled your fingers like on a handle bar just
when I say handle bar'. Take a second look at the video, and see how
many things in the background mimic the look of bike wheels. To someone
who never rode a bike, or wanted one, this would never work. To someone
who at some point wanted a bike, this would just be re-enforcement of
what he was about to say.

Does pattern re-enforcement, word association and mirroring work?
According to any psychologist I have asked, the answer has been yes. And
not on the subconscious mind, but on the conscious mind alone. NLP as it
is claimed is just over-reaching. But the tricks that NLP renamed and
packaged are not all bunk.

It wouldn't work in video alone, without visual cues, or in complete
silence and shoved into every 80th frame of a movie reel. However,
associating current situations with memories of happy stuff is a well
known advertising trick. Makes you feel good about the past and has you
thinking about their product which they hope, it isn't a guarantee, that
the next time you see their product you will want one because of this
happy memory. It isn't 100%, and they aren't counting on a reaction of
"Oh, this 'whatever' reminds me of my childhood." What they want is
"Hmm, I heard about this product somewhere, and it sounded good." It is
just easier to pick generic 'good' things, like vague memories of
'happy' than to pick something specific that would reach fewer people.