POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : stbenge Fastprox fast SSS : Re: stbenge Fastprox fast SSS Server Time
6 Oct 2024 01:53:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: stbenge Fastprox fast SSS
From: stbenge
Date: 25 Aug 2009 07:23:47
Message: <4a93c9c3@news.povray.org>
Mr wrote:
> I am trying to use Fast SSS 2 from Stbenge macro but can't manage to get an
> ordinary finish with it. any specularity seems to cover up the effect. Here is
> what I tried By directly modifying example files from around here (I modified
> Object 2):
/*clip my own bad code*/
> Any idea on how to integrate that macro in a custom material?

Yes,

I'm very sorry about the bad examples I produced. Somehow the wrong
scene files ended up with my code archive. What you and everybody else
ended up with was my scene-testing file for everything!

Here's a clearer example of how to interface one of my SSS macros into a
usable texture:

// begin code

camera{
  location<0,10,-10>
  look_at 0
}

#include"fast_prox.inc"

#declare lpos=<1,.5,0>;

light_source{lpos*100000,rgb 1}

#declare obj=
union{
  cylinder{-x*3,x*3,2}
  cylinder{-y*3,y*3,2}
  cylinder{-z*3,z*3,2}
  sphere{0,2.5}
  rotate y*45 // transforms are applied before SSS
}

#declare thisSSS=
pigment{pigment_pattern{fastSSS2(obj,lpos*100000,min_extent(obj)-0.5,max_extent(obj)+0.5,<1,1,1>*8,2,20)}}

object{obj
  texture{
   pigment_pattern{thisSSS}
   texture_map{
    [0
     pigment{rgb 0}
     finish{specular 0}
    ]
    [1
     pigment{rgb<1,1,.125>}
     finish{specular 1}
    ]
   }
  }
}

// end code

Any time you wish to create a new texture_map, pigment_map or colour_map
from an existing pattern, encapsulate it withing a pigment_pattern
statement like you see above. By doing so, you will ensure that any
following map statements you give the pattern will take effect.

Sometimes you might not know if a macro will produce a pigment_pattern,
so it's always a safe bet to encapsulate it properly if what you are
trying does not take effect.

I hope this helps a bit. If not, I'll keep checking this thread!

Sam