POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : edge_pigment02.inc (a proximity pattern) : Re: edge_pigment02.inc (a proximity pattern) Server Time
10 May 2024 07:25:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: edge_pigment02.inc (a proximity pattern)
From: clipka
Date: 24 Aug 2009 19:29:56
Message: <4a932274$1@news.povray.org>
Reactor schrieb:
> Which kind of makes me wonder why inside_vector doesn't have a default value.
> It seems like the direction rarely matters that much, but if you forget to
> specify it...

Backward compat I suppose: Until the introduction of inside_vector, I
assume intersecting a mesh with a solid would give you the same result
as clipping the mesh by that object, and some scenes might have relied
on this effect; defaulting to a proper inside_vector would obviously
break such scenes.

Then again, I guess it would be not much of a problem to default to
inside_vector y (for instance) unless a #version statement is used to
request compat with 3.6 or lower. And a warning could be given even
then, suggesting to use clipped_by instead.