POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : n_to_national_healt =?ISO-8 : Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition to national health care? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:17:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition to national health care?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 24 Aug 2009 19:11:51
Message: <4a931e37$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 00:36:16 +0200, andrel wrote:

> I think he does, at least it matches with my definition of a volunteer.

Volunteer:  One who voluntarily offers his services in any capacity; one
who of his own free will takes part in any enterprise.

Voluntarily:  Of one’s own free will or accord; without compulsion,
constraint, or undue influence by others; freely, willingly.

Both definitions taken from the Oxford English Dictionary.

Now, if someone's not willing to do something for which they've not been
compensated in some way, then you can't compel them do something that is
*voluntary*.  If you compel them to do something, then it's not
voluntary, *by definition*.

I'm not saying I disagree with your POV, BTW; I do think that people who
have the ability to assist in a time of crisis should do so for the
common good, *however* we are talking about volunteers here, so it's
important to understand what exactly is meant by "volunteer" and
"voluntary".  What you are talking about *isn't* volunteers, and *isn't*
voluntary, because you are talking about compelling someone to do
something *because* they have the skills.

Jim