POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : n_to_national_healt =?ISO-8 : Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition to national healthcare? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:16:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition to national healthcare?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 24 Aug 2009 19:06:38
Message: <4a931cfe@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 00:20:45 +0200, andrel wrote:

> On 24-8-2009 23:35, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 23:05:07 +0200, andrel wrote:
>>
>>> Paid by taxes, even the volunteers. It is extremely hard to imagine a
>>> situation where they are paid in such a perverse way.
>>
>> It's pretty common in small towns in the US that the volunteer fire
>> department isn't paid at all - they have to raise funds to buy
>> equipment.
>
> Bloody stupid and bloody irresponsible of the town they are serving.

This might come as a shock to you, but not everyone in the US lives in a
"town".  When I first moved to Utah, I lived in an unincorporated suburb
of Salt Lake City.  The county (in my case) provided those services, but
in more rural parts of the country, county services may not be available.

You've not seen a rural area until you've been to Montana or Wyoming.
Population density is incredibly low in both areas, outside of the major
towns.

Jim