POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is great : Re: This is great Server Time
9 Oct 2024 02:30:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is great
From: Darren New
Date: 24 Aug 2009 18:54:21
Message: <4a931a1d$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Well, if that's a total of six man-hours (as opposed to maybe thousands
> of people losing six hours each), then it's more economic to leave the
> bug in there.

Sure. ANd when you start getting into "thousands of people", the equation
changes again. Now it's not "how many man hours can we save", but "how many
people won't buy our product because of this bug" vs "how much does the bug
take to fix."

If only 3 people are going to switch from Windows to Linux because of a bug
that costs you 6 hours a year, chances of MS spending a man month to fix it
are slim even if it wastes the time of 1000s of people a year.

>> Hard to say, really. Certainly the *easy* programs are desktop and web
>> apps.
>
> I guess old-fashioned mainframe business apps are rather boring, too.

Yup. "Say, generate for me a list of all employees in order of the total
number of days they've worked since getting hired."

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Understanding the structure of the universe