POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : n_to_national_healt =?ISO-8 : Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition to national health care? Server Time
9 Oct 2024 09:56:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can anyone explain America's opposition to national health care?
From: Darren New
Date: 24 Aug 2009 18:47:56
Message: <4a93189c$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Neeum Zawan <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote:
>>         We're explicitly discussing something *not* paid for by taxes.
>   It still sounds to me like illegal extortion.

Actually, the story goes that they were offered money, and they said "too
late." So no, it wouldn't be extortion. Something else, perhaps, but not
extortion.

>   People don't put themselves into more or less danger depending on who
> paid money for protection or not. You cannot justify such selection of
> whose life you are going to save or not, based solely on whether that
> person has paid you money or not.

Who said anything about not saving lives?  They just declined to put out the
fire in his house.

>   Moreover, deliberately not helping in an emergency situation where you
> are capable and able to help is irresponsible and at least here illegal.
> If you, for example, see a car accident and just ignore it, if you get
> caught you will be fined or even jailed. You are refusing to help even
> though you perhaps could. I think the legal term is negligence or something?

Laws vary, certainly. Here there's no obligation to help, except in special
circumstances. (For example, being a doctor carries certain responsibilities
that don't hold for non-doctors.) Indeed, we have to pass special laws to
keep you from being sued in the event that you try to help and fail.

There's no law that requires me to stop and help someone change a flat tire
if they break down on the side of the road. Not even if I'm driving a
tow-truck.

>   Moreover, not putting out a fire even though you have the means to, and
> instead letting it go, is extremely dangerous not only for the house in
> question, but all the surrounding houses as well.

Yet, oddly enough, firemen sometimes also set fires to prevent fires from
spreading. It's called a firebreak. Since neither of us were there, neither
of us can guess what level of danger was present. Since I remember it being
described as "a mansion", it's entirely possible (especially in that area)
that it was in the middle of acres of open area. Plus, as I said, they were
there and watching it in case it did indeed spread.

Note that these were the same group that put out a fire in the house I was
living in and took great care, for example avoiding spraying on the stained
glass window knowing it would break, etc.

>   So we have a protection racket, extortion, negligence and manslaughter.

Nobody died, so it wasn't manslaughter. They showed up to make sure it
didn't spread, so it wasn't negligence.  It's a protection racket, but then
all these sorts of things are "protection rackets" the way you define it
(having you pay for protection and not protecting you if you don't pay).
It's not extortion because they didn't force the homeowner to pay, and
indeed that was the root of the problem.

Now, you can argue it was a bad thing to do, and I'd likely even agree that
it could be. I probably wouldn't have sat around gloating myself. But I
think you're reaching if you think it's illegal, especially in the USA.

> Still not enough to make this practice highly illegal?
>   How far it has to go before it becomes illegal?

I would say when you start getting paid as a full-time job by tax money, you
probably shouldn't sit and gloat. :-) When someone passes a law requiring
you to provide services regardless of whether they paid you, chances are
good it's illegal not to.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Understanding the structure of the universe