POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Greg Egan does it again : Re: Greg Egan does it again Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:23:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Greg Egan does it again
From: clipka
Date: 24 Aug 2009 18:45:34
Message: <4a93180e@news.povray.org>
Paul Fuller schrieb:
> That the physical properties of the universe are set by God (or a god ?)
> but only when some pesky scientist bothers to go looking at them.  The
> first time a property is measured there is a large margin of error which
> allows time for the deity to determine what the more precise value
> should be.

That was me :-) (No, seriously: I love this idea, and have been toying
around with it occasionally for one or two decades by now, and I'm sure
I didn't pick it up anywhere (*). Though I must confess I never wrote
about it :-P)

(* Well, maybe it was inspired by Douglas Adams, and that quote along
the lines of "there's a theory that if anyone ever manages to fully
understand the universe, it will instantaneously be replaced by
something even more bizarre. There's another theory that this has
happened already.")

I find it actually remarkably consistent with quantum mechanics: As long
as you don't look at a particle, it is not at any particular location,
i.e. the answer is undecided. As long as you don't look at how big pi
is, or the charge of an electron, or what atomic nuclei are composed of,
the answer is undecided...

> Then I think it went on that by measuring how quickly the precision of a
> measurement could be improved by successive measurements and assuming
> that this all works at the speed of light, you could calculate the
> distance to heaven.  Do this from different locations and you could
> triangulate.

LOL, that's great!