POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is great : Re: This is great Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:24:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is great
From: clipka
Date: 24 Aug 2009 18:13:44
Message: <4a931098$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New schrieb:
> It's not a matter of "unavoidable fact of life". It's simply a cost to
> benefit ratio. If over the lifetime of your computer you spend (say) six
> hours waiting for it to reboot, or you could spend 60 hours finding and
> fixing the bug that's causing that problem, what do you do?

Well, if that's a total of six man-hours (as opposed to maybe thousands
of people losing six hours each), then it's more economic to leave the
bug in there. Provided it doesn't cause any other harm like destroying
valuable data, setting off a thermonuclear war or something...

That's one reason why in-house tools tend to be so crappy: It's more
economic to accept the loss of productivity of the few people who
actually use it, than investing that productivity into improving it.

> Hard to say, really. Certainly the *easy* programs are desktop and web
> apps.

I guess old-fashioned mainframe business apps are rather boring, too.